It is impossible to understate the importance of safe, secure data disposal. Here’s why it matters: 59% of employees steal proprietary data when they leave a company. In 2016 alone, more than 12.6 million digital records were exposed, and the average cost per 1000 exposed records is $52,000 – $87,000.
While data theft is growing more sophisticated, offenders tend to take the path of least resistance: paper and unsecured records are easy pickings. Choosing specialists in information security is a must for today’s businesses, hospitals, government agencies, and schools. But not all services are created equal. Before you trust your data to anyone, make sure they have the credentials you need.
Look for membership with or accreditation by the following industry organizations:
- National Association for Information Destruction (NAID). This independent association sets strict standards for certification; it is the data destruction industry’s only quality assurance program. Using unannounced audits of members, NAID seeks to ensure the highest level of security and compliance.
- ASIS International. ASIS is the world’s leading organization for security professionals. It provides advanced education, programs, and services aimed to improve security performance.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). The IAPP’s mission is to help organizations manage data breach/theft risks and ensure privacy and security for everyone in the “data chain,” from companies to consumers.
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE). ACFE provides comprehensive anti-fraud education and training, helping to increase public confidence.
- Joint Commission: Accreditation, Health Care, Certification (JCAHO). This independent nonprofit seeks to improve healthcare by ensuring organizations meet the highest standards. Accreditation indicates compliance with rigorous, industry-leading guidelines.
These organizations help assure organizations of the qualifications of their information security specialists. Another beneficial credential is green certification; this proves that the service prioritizes sustainability and efficiency.
Don’t trust your most sensitive information to just any one. Opt for credentialed professionals, and entrust your data to the best.